Saturday, April 17, 2010

the tricks of the trade

Through Songs for Sight, I have had opportunities to meet other teens with low vision. As a matter of fact, when I was undergoing my bioptic training I met one of my greatest friends, Lauren. I KNOW I haven't blogged in ages, so I was brainstorming on a topic, and Lauren and I had one of those "lightbulb moments."

Both Lauren and I have grown up with our eye conditions, and have learned how to make adaptations in social situations to keep it classy. We thought some of our little tricks" to VIP (visually impaired persons) Survival in the Real World 101.

1. If we hear our name called in a school hallway, we shout HEY, and wave back in response....even if we may be waving and shouting in the wrong direction. Most likely, if you are far away from us, we have no clue who the heck you are, but heck, we are social butterflies!

2. We totally fake conversations until you get close enough for us to see who you are. (this may take AWHILE!)

3. We automatically wave when a passing car honks (just in case...)

4. At fast food establishments, or places where the menus written high up on the wall, we order the same thing as our friends to keep it cool. (Unless we have our monocular telescopes with us, then we whip 'em out and look like we are star-gazing, while in reality, we just want some variety in our meal...not what our friends ordered).

5. We enter an elevator on the opposite side as the buttons so that we can simply tell someone where we're headed instead of searching for the right button to press. (this has potential to be a lengthy process if we end up button-hunting).

6. We always go ahead of friends in at lunch so that we have to wait on them to pay instead of being left to find them in a crowded cafeteria. (Nothing is worse than being a blindie left to find people in a crowded area).

7. If it is dark outside, we always have a "guide human," for example...my friends know that when it is dark, I will grab their arm....it is not awkward or frightening to them anymore...it is a way of life.

8. When attending sporting events in large arenas such as football, baseball, occasionally basketball.....we are truly there for the social side of things. We love our team....but are clueless as of what is happening in the game. BUT we follow crowd cues and get REALLY into it by joining in in chants, standing up for touchdowns or baskets, yelling defense, or acting sad when our players make a mistake. *However, this has potential to be a tough situation...I have followed crowd cues for the wrong team before.....YIKES!)



That's all for today, kids. More soon, I promise!!!!!!!!!!!



2 comments:

  1. Hey blog buddy! I think this is my favorite post so far--keep 'em coming! And you know I'll be your guide human anytime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. KAREN! I AM JUST NOW READING THIS! love you, thanks for reading!!! follow meeeee!

    ReplyDelete