Friday, April 30, 2010

traveling


So- I am sitting here at the UAB Center for Low Vision Rehab (on an awesome large print computer, btw) and was in a blogging mood. I was asking around the center on what people thought would be a good blog topic, and Dr. DeCarlo came up with a winner. How does one travel with Low Vision?


There are many ways those with Low Vision can be successful traveling via air. Although I am 17, I have often traveled by myself in airports and been just fine. (I am the kind of person who does not let my parents be my "eyes" I like to figure things out!). Low vision technology is getting more and more advanced everyday, and thanks to some great tools and tricks, traveling can be painless.

Luggage: Finding luggage can be a scary and overwhelming thing with low vision (similar to finding friends in a crowded cafeteria I mentioned in my previous post). To ease this process, I used to travel with a BRIGHT lime green suitcase. This way, I can spot it the second it pops out onto the carousel and not get lost in the sea of black and brown suitcases. However, if you do not own a bright colored suitcase there are plenty of other options. Try tying a bright ribbon or bright luggage tag to one of the handle of your suitcase. I am leaving for D.C. with a black suitcase, and I have adorned it with bright red and pink ribbons/luggage tags to help!

Looking for connecting flights on the arrival departure screens: This also has potential to be an anxiety-provoking process. However, any V.I.P. can conquer this challenge. Because I am extremely persistent about doing everything on my own- I use my monocular telescope in the airport. It helps by LEAPS AND BOUNDS! If you do not have a monocular, however; the airport attendants will be happy to help you find where you need to go, just ask! I know asking can seem quite overwhelming, but you have to advocate for yourself. Don't get caught in the frustration of not being able to read the screens, take action! BE YOUR OWN SELF ADVOCATE!



Well- I gotta bounce...off to D.C. to share the Songs for Sight mission with the suits on capitol hill!

PEACE
-alie b.

P.S.- say a prayer for all of the kids and young adults at the Songs for Sight support group IMPACT weekend today- it is going to be incredible, and I am sad to be missing it!

1 comment:

  1. IMPACT weekend was an absolute SUCCESS!! There were so many people there and the excitement of the kids combined with the relief of the parents when they realized there were other VIP'S out there was, to say the least, priceless! Everyone (especially Lindsay and I)missed you terribly, but you accomplished the goal in DC and now you'll get to come back and use the knowledge and money gained to LIVE THE DREAM with the rest of us! I LOVE YOU FRICK!! *blindies rock!*

    ReplyDelete